so here it is - Nalf's back in town. The 5th or 6th time already. Well - I won't be surprised if you wouldn't believe in me staying here for at least a while longer then during my last attempt (which was a week I guess...). I don't really believe either
The sad truth is... that I am not ever going to have enough time for any thing properly Artistic. Having said that... I might still try doing something at least barely artistic
Now - what can I do? What am I good at? What are my advantages? Lets see...
- I do have a DSLR (Canon D1000 - could be better but - hey - that's a start!)
- I do have a selection of lenses encompassing:
-> 50mm f/1.8 prime lens
-> 17-85mm IS universal lens
-> 90-200mm telephoto lens
- I even got an EX-550 flash gun
- I live in London - with its rich mix of nationalities and vibrant cultural scene
- I am studying astronomy - a science of optics, its analysis and uses... which should give me the technical background for photography
- I am making websites for both UCL Institute for Origins of Universe and The Centre of Planetary Sciences, which gives me plenty of opportunities to work on graphics & even shoot scientists "in action" if you like
- I am going to work for two months in a real Observatory in North London, pursuing a project involving a search for exoplanets - planets in different solar systems! I'll have access to all its equipment and help from professional astronomers employed there.
- There is one astrophotography competition running in London during July. Open to everybody.
- I cycle - and hence have the whole city opened to me. I go wherever I want, whenever I want (unless its raining, and then I just don't really feel like going anywhere
- I live with more than 6 flatmates from several countries - and have an awfully rich "flat-life"
- I stay in East End, the traditional working class area of the capitol, with its warehouses, pubs, markets and... Olympic Games 2012 site in construction.
and last but most likely not least (poor memory)
- I am registered on dA and hopefully can learn from you guys, practice and exchange ideas and... you know - gather
s and give some of these out too.
So - lets think positively. There's the list of all I can/have. Now that would be a waste to not utilize all these opportunities! (I didn't even know there are that many when I started this text.)
What about a challenge then? Yeah that sounds like good old me talking! I hereby challenge myself to use every single one of these advantages one by one in a series of weekly experiments (or exercises). Each week I will invent a new technique that I'll try to learn and use or choose one of the opportunities I've got and try to exploit it in some way. Starting from... next week, as this week I am finishing my last exams.
Obviously I'll need your advice people - so please, please - comment on what I am doing. I can't learn from books and internet only. The beginnings will most likely be amazingly crap... but I'll try to pull through it and keep working. Again - I'll need your support here.
dA - I am giving you the last chance to prove you worthy!
So... where do I begin?
I've got a week now to think of a subject for my first challenge, which would utilize one of the advantages listed above... Any ideas people? Lets brainstorm
Yours again for a while